What We Do
The Mobile Services Department supports this mission by providing home delivery of books, materials, and programs to those who are unable to travel to a branch. The Mobile Services Van is on the road 20 days of the month serving individuals and groups in Charles County.
Monthly services currently offered by the Mobile Services Department include:
- Homebound Services- Materials are provided and delivered to individuals that are homebound and unable to visit a library branch due to illness or disability.
- Storytime Programs – These programs are offered to childcare providers and centers licensed through the Office of Child Care Licensing & Regulations. These are also available to public and private schools, Head Start and preschool classrooms that meet the age and child requirements.
- Lending Library deposit collection sites- These sites are located in institutions, senior centers, community centers and post offices in rural areas of Charles County.
Staff will make every attempt to accommodate requests for library and educational programs. Examples include, but not limited to:
- Library information booth.
- Children’s Program.
- Book discussions and Book talks.
- General presentation on library resources and services.
- School visits.
- Career day program.
In 2015, Executive Director Janet Salazar met with Commissioner Amanda Stewart, ex officio board member and library Board of Trustees President Claudia Bellony-Atanga to discuss possible ways to expand the library. A proposal for a mobile library was presented to the commissioners at a public meeting in May 2016. In July 2016 the money for the purchase of the mobile library vehicle was released by the commissioners and the order for the mobile library vehicle was placed in August 2016.
The 26 foot long vehicle, with 17 feet of loading space, has a wheelchair lift for accessibility, a side awning for outdoor programming, two public computer stations and the capacity to hold up to 2,000 books. The Mobile Library offers access to adult, teen, and children’s collections, online resources and databases, free Wifi, and public use computers. Special visits to schools and community events will be available upon request. Partnering opportunities are available.
The Charles County Public Library Mobile Services Van is on the road 20 days of every month serving individual and groups in all areas of Charles County.
- Library materials and reference services are delivered to homebound customers that are unable to visit the library due to health problems and disabilities.
- Story Time programming and library materials are provided to childcare providers, childcare centers and Head Start programs throughout the county.
- Lending library deposit collections of non-bar-coded materials are maintained at a variety of sites in outlying areas of the county. New materials are rotated to the sites once every month.
- Mobile Services also provides a range of special programs and workshops as scheduling allows. These programs may include presentations in nursing homes, to senior groups, summer camps, and family centers.
Mobile Services visits
The Mobile Services Department provides a monthly visit to childcare centers, home daycare providers and various preschool classrooms. This service is to promote literacy in children while encouraging the love of books and lifetime reading. The program also assists teachers in learning exciting new techniques by using books and other activities with children in their daily activities.
Who qualifies for Storytime?
- Daycare centers or in-home daycares that are licensed through the Office of Child Care Licensing and Regulation have a minimum enrollment of 4 children ages 18 months – 5 years. A minimum attendance of 4 children, ages 18 months to 5 years, must be present during the monthly Storytime.
- Head Start classes, Public and Private Preschools that have a minimum enrollment of 4 children ages 18 months – 5 years. A minimum attendance of 4 children, ages 18 months to 5 years, must be present during the monthly Storytime.
What is involved in the Storytime visit?
Every month from October to August a member of the Mobile Services Department will come to your location and present a 25-30 minute Storytime. During this visit the Mobile Services Associate will present various books, songs, finger plays and other activities that relate to the Mobile Services Department’s monthly theme. A bag of books will be left at the site for use during the month and will be exchanged during the next visit.
How do I apply?
*****If there is a waiting list, participation may be on a rotating basis.
Are you or a loved one unable to come to the library? The Mobile Services Department provides free year-round service to qualified homebound residents of Charles County.
Who qualifies for homebound deliveries? Individuals who:
- Have a medical condition that limits their ability to visit the library; OR
- Are unable to leave home (due to an illness, disability, injury, etc.); OR
- Reside in an assisted living, nursing or retirement community.
- Qualified customers must reside in Charles County.
How does homebound delivery work?
Customers can request specific titles and authors or have an Mobile Services staff member select for them according to his/her interest. Mobile Services staff will make every attempt to fill request with library materials but Book Express and DVD Express items are not available for homebound deliveries.
Mobile Services staff will establish a specific day and time each month for the delivery visit. This is a year-round service, staff will do their best to accommodate for missed visits due to Holidays.
All items will be delivered and returned by the Mobile Services staff. Homebound customers are not charged fines for lost or damaged items.
Moblie Services visits may be canceled if the Charles County Public Schools announce a delayed opening or closure due to inclement weather.
How do I apply?
If you are a qualified homebound resident of Charles County and would like library materials delivered to your residence, please contact Mobile Services at 301.934.9001 Ext. 123, by email at mobileservices [at] ccplonline [dot] org.