Drop the Mic Recording Studio
The Drop the Mic Recording Studio is a full scale professional recording studio with a sound booth, microphones, and recording and mixing equipment. The studio was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), grant # RE-95-17-0068-17, in the Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program, by the support of the Charles County Public Library Board of Trustees, as well as a gift from the Citizens for the Charles County Public Library, Inc (C4CCPL).
The Institute of Museum and Library Services awards grants to experiential learning programs that teach collaboration skills, programs and services that respond to community input and demonstrated needs, as well as those that lead to cultural change at libraries and sustain impact through extending training.
CCPL conducted teen focus groups and found that a number of Charles County youth do not participate in any extracurricular activities, and that young adults wanted a space where they could be creative as well as collaborate and interact with their peers. The focus group findings determined that a recording studio space would address the needs of our community. IMLS determined that the Drop the Mic Recording Studio would be the perfect fit. The CCPL Board of Trustees and C4CCPL provided the additional funds to make the studio a reality. Without the generous support of the Citizens for the Charles County Public Library and the CCPL Board of Trustees, the recording studio would not have been possible.
The Drop the Mic Recording Studio officially opened on March 20, 2019. It is free to use and is available on a first come, first serve basis. Reservations can be made on the CCPL website at Meeting Room Reservation, by calling P.D. Brown Memorial Branch at 301\645.2864 or by clicking on the button at the bottom of this page.
Please note: The views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this website do not necessarily represent those of the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Citizens for the Charles County Public Library, Inc. (C4CCPL) is a non-profit, all volunteer group dedicated to expand public awareness and support for the Charles County, Maryland Public Library system. With membership support from the community, we assist the library in many of its endeavors. C4CCPL sponsors activities, raises funds, and promotes the library as a cultural, educational, informational and recreational asset to Southern Maryland. The funds raised by our activities help supplement the library’s budget by purchasing items not included in their operating budget by Charles County. Since our inception in June, 2002, we have provided more than a Quarter of a Million dollars in funds to the Charles County Libraries.
- PreSonus Studio 192 USB Audio Interface and Studio Command Center
- Novation 49-key MIDI Controller
- Sweetwater Custom Computing 4u i5 3.0GHz, 16GB Ram
- Studio One Software
- Viewsonic LED 27″ LDC Monitor
- Gator 8U Roller Rack
- Furman 8+1 Outlet 15A Rk Pwr w/Light
- Sony Closed Studio Headphones
- AKG Semi-Open Monitor Headphones
- PreSonus 4-Ch Headphone Amplifier
- Shure SM-58 Vocal Microphones
- Shure SM-57 Instrument Microphones
- StackIt Gobo Package 9 Pieces
- Minimum persons = 1 / Maximum persons = 4
- 1 reservation per person per day.
- Reservations may be submitted up to 60 days in advance. Studio only open during normal library hours.
- Studio is free of charge, and may be used for a maximum of 4 hours per day.
- No food or drink, except for bottled water, will be allowed in the Drop the Mic Recording Studio.
Interested in learning how to use Studio One 4? There are plenty of training videos on Lynda.com! With your library card, you will be able to watch videos for free. The videos that are on Lynda.com are for the software Studio One 3 but there is not much of a difference between the two versions.
How to access the free training videos on Lynda.com
- Access Lynda.com
- Type in your library credentials
- Type Studio One in the Search bar at the top of the page
- Select Learning Studio One 3
- Select the section you are interested in watching